Want to see how your physical posture affects your spiritual experience? Try this contemplative exercise to increase
awareness of your body in worship.
- Pull up Psalm 46 in your favorite Bible-listening app (YouVersion, YouTube, etc.), or ask a friend to try this with you.
- Sit comfortably—perhaps with your feet flat on the floor.Take a centering breath. Feel the air fill your lungs, and hold your breath at the top before releasing it. Ask the Holy
Spirit to be present with you.
Listen to the Scripture three times.
• First, with your arms folded
• Second, with your hands flat on your knees
• Third, with your hands open, palms up.
Notice the sensations in your body during each reading.
• What changed between each posture change?
• What effect did your body posture have on your experience of God’s voice in Scripture?
• How can you incorporate this new awareness into your times with God?